March 7, 2015

Looking forward to the Masters

Every season the first full week of April inspires a wide range of emotions for golfers, especially those that have been buried in snow. For the PGA fan in me it brings a level of excitement that eight year olds feel at Christmas. As a golfer it inspires a sense of envy similar to the "always a bridesmaid" cliché, since I doubt I will ever experience the joy of playing a course that is as challenging and manicured. 
As I look out my window at the melting snow, I hear my grandmother telling me about the watched pot of water. Thankfully the strengthening sunlight is an indication that spring is right around the corner, and that means the azaleas will soon be blooming in Georgia. 
For me, and many others diagnosed with a debilitating form of cabin fever, The Masters serves as the starting gun for the marathon golf season. 
I found this interesting photo from an article on The APosition written by Anthony Pioppi, author of the book "To the Nines". It shows how the golf course at Augusta National Golf Club has changed over the years. As Mr. Pioppi explains in his article, all of the changes to ANGC are made in the interest of the one week of the year when the best players in the world, professional and amateur alike, are invited to participate in The Masters, rather than for the enjoyment of the members.  Just another example of how the first full week of April is closer to fantasy than reality. 


I will be adding more thoughts and ideas as the tournament approaches, and hopefully the snow will melt and we will be able to watch the coverage after enjoying our first rounds of golf in New England. 

No comments: