August 2, 2011

Pushing the Envelope

You never know what your limits are until you cross them.  This is as true for putting greens as it is for invisible fences.  All year we have been trying to push for firm, fast playing conditions, especially on the greens.  I have been reluctant to push too hard since there is a lot at risk, and the best part of the golf season is yet to come.
Wilt scar from where
someone dropped a flag stick
This weekend we pushed the greens further than I ever have, and they stood up to challenge beautifully.  Until Sunday at 1:00 that is.  I had planned on the final round of the tournament wrapping up sometime between noon and 1:00, then the course would empty, and we would be able to syringe the greens ahead of the afternoon play starting on the first tee.  It would have worked perfectly except for two things; the weather was hotter and drier earlier than than I expected, and the tournament did not finish until close to 3:00.  It got so bad that I had to break my own cardinal rule of not syringing during a big tournament, and even that was not enough.  If one more blade of grass wilted on the eighth hole we would have changed the name of the putting surface from green to purple. 
Eventually a champion was crowned and I was able to douse the flames, but not before some greens suffered significant wilt damage.  Thankfully the turf was very healthy heading into the tournament, and the greens are recovering nicely after some TLC and a nice rainstorm Monday night.  We will continue to take a less aggressive approach for a couple of days and will begin preparing for the Club Championship and qualifiers next week.
Some people will argue that it is not worth going to all this trouble for a tournament, but I would guess that the people that played over the weekend would disagree.  Our greens were as true and fast as I have ever prepared, and I feel comfortable saying that we showcased every ounce of character they possess.  Most importantly I have now pushed the greens on a few occasions and have watched them bounce back every time.  Over time I will learn more about when to push them, how far to push them, and what I need to do to bring 'em back alive.
I hope everyone enjoyed the golf course over the weekend, and I am definitely looking forward to some cooler weather and fall golf.  The best is yet to come.

No comments: