June 2, 2012

Great feedback

I have been getting a lot of great feedback from members lately. Some are extremely encouraging, like the groups that commented on the condition of the first fairway this morning after 1.5" of rain in 6 hours. Another favorite is the condition of the rough, and how well we have done managing a reasonable penalty in spite of the wet weather we have been experiencing. We have dedicated a lot of labor resources on the areas immediately surrounding greens and fairways, and have been working closely with committee members to address the fescue areas that have too much influence on playability and pace of play.
The one comment that I found almost amusing came from one of my favorite members. He told me that he loved my blog updates. I almost fell over, since it has been so long since I have made time to sit at my desk and share some thoughts and ideas about the golf course and the work we have been doing.
I missed the follow up on the opening of the 1st and 18th holes, and I am embarrassed that I did not take a few moments to explain why we had to "ruin the greens just as they were getting good".
Well, it has been an extremely busy spring with Summer weather in April and April Showers coming in May just as the rough was kicking into high gear.
I will keep this short and sweet and let you know what is coming in the near future. I will be asking for photos from Tropical Storm Irene for a photo book to keep in the club archives. If you have photos of the club or golf course from late summer, during, or just after the storm, I would love emailed copies to include in the book. Make sure to include your full name so that I can give photo credit in the book.
The next topic will be a discussion of the Achilles heels of the 1st and 18th holes. The surface may look as good as it has in many years, but we have yet to experience extended heat and humidity. The poor soil and irrigation coverage will make it extremely difficult to maintain the current condition over time.
Enough for now. I promise to write more often, and one of these days I will dust off my clubs and will need someone to play with. If you ever need a fourth, please keep me in mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job on keeping us posted. Course looks great and greens running fast and true.