July 17, 2014

Use of pesticides on the golf course

Recently I have been approached by individuals concerned about the use of pesticides on the golf course, specifically how it affects kids.
While golf courses offer many benefits to the local ecosystem such as providing habitat for native wildlife and filtering and recharging groundwater moving through the watershed, there are a number of aspects of a golf course that would not be possible without the use of fertilizers and chemicals. 
There is always a risk associated with the use of these products, and managing this risk is a responsibility I take very seriously.  I go to great lengths to produce healthy, resilient turf through effective cultural and fertility programs, and try to minimize the use of chemicals by maximizing the duration between applications whenever possible.  When I do make applications I make every effort to minimize the risk to the environment, to golfers, and to my staff.  Since I have come to Pine Orchard I have developed and implemented innovative programs that utilize the best available technology and reduced risk products, and have eliminated the use of more harmful products that are less selective and affect non-target species. 
There are two types of risk associated with the use of chemicals (or medications for that matter), chronic and acute.  For golfers the risk is of chronic exposure, which deals with repeated exposure to low doses over an extended period of time.  Acute exposure deals with short term exposure to a high concentration, such as when I handle the concentrated products when mixing the spray solutions.  Once the products are combined and diluted to the desired concentration, the risk of acute exposure decreases significantly.
 The University of Massachussetts conducted research to determine the level of this risk and found that the level of exposure was well below any level that would cause harm from chronic or acute exposure.  If that does not ease your concerns, I am required by law to maintain Material Safety Data Sheets for all chemicals that are used or stored on premises.  I would be happy to provide copies of this information, as well as a table that compares the toxicity of the products we commonly use with everyday household products and over the counter medications.  Most of the products as applied are less toxic to mammals than aspirin, Tylenol, alcohol, nicotine, and vinegar.  If you are still concerned about the products we use and the potential risk of exposure, we are required to post signs at the 1st/10th tees as well as any conspicuous points of entry to the golf course (practice green) alerting the public that a pesticide application has been made.  These signs serve as a voluntary 24 hour no reentry notification.
At the end of the day, golf course superintendents are stewards of the environment, a role that I take very seriously.  It is easy for a concerned parent or individual to dismiss my efforts to defend my programs and the decisions I make as a turf manager.  Perhaps the most powerful statement I can make with respect to the safety of my programs is that my son attends the same golf camps as your children, and plays the same golf course you do, and I would never expose him to anything that I thought would cause him harm.
If you would like any more information regarding my chemical, fertility, or any other management program, please feel free to send me an email and I would be happy to make time to discuss it with you.

No comments: