January 26, 2015

A man worth recognizing


As I sat in my living room about to be snowed in by the blizzard of 2015, I stumbled across an interesting article about the architect who designed the original golf course at Pine Orchard.  I knew he had done some other local favorites, such as Race Brook and Wethersfield C.C., but failed to appreciate his contribution to golf in the Greater New Haven community.  A year ago our golf chair asked if we should include a mention of the architect's connection to Pine Orchard on the latest revision of our score card.  I, being almost as ignorant as I was arrogant, dismissed Mr. Pryde as being unworthy of recognition.  In spite of the fact that the course we all enjoy today has very little to do with the original design, and the relic tees that can be found in the woods and fescue stand out more than the original greens, his contributions to golf in Connecticut deserve to be recognized and remembered.  If not for his work developing the Yale golf program, the Course at Yale may never have been commissioned, and many of the undergraduates and alumni that have been fortunate enough to play the Seth Raynor masterpiece might not have pursued the game.  
I would like to offer my humble and sincere apology to Mr. Pryde, and to Mr. Risley.  


Follow the link to an interesting history of a pioneer of golf in New Haven, and perhaps we should find a way to recognize him at the club, whether it be on the scorecard, in the clubhouse, or both.

No comments: