April 5, 2015

Inside the Ropes: The Life of an Augusta greenkeeper

I stumbled across this article on Twitter. It provides a brief description of what goes on behind the scenes at Augusta National, and why it is irrational for most clubs to strive to achieve that level of perfection. 
In spite of the dark side of the "Augusta National Syndrome", the club and its premier tournament do a lot for the game of golf. For decades they have inspired golfers in the northern half of the country to get back out on the course after a long winter, and now they are create opportunities to introduce and engage young players through the Drive, Chip, and Putt competition. 
I for one can't wait to watch the coverage all week. Which reminds me, I have to go set my DVR so that I don't miss a single minute of uninterrupted coverage. Another feat that can only be pulled off at The Masters. 


Pete Gorman
Golf Course Superintendent 
Pine Orchard Yacht & Country Club
Branford, CT

No comments: