June 16, 2011

Pushing the envelope

I have received a number of comments about the appearance of the greens over the last few weeks, most of them through second parties.  In order to avoid any confusion and prevent the spread of incomplete or erroneous information I decided to share a clear and concise explanation of why certain greens look the way they do.
Heading into Memorial Day weekend we experienced the first warm, humid spell of the season following a very cool spring.  There were 9 out of 10 days in the middle of May when we experienced measurable rain.  The week before Memorial Day the rain finally stopped but the air became warm and very humid causing the turf on the greens to become very lush, and we were having a difficult time maintaining acceptable green speeds heading into the Sid Noyes tournament.   In an effort to thin out the turf, and provide the smooth, firm playing surfaces that I have been asked to maintain I decided to verticut and top dress the greens, just as I had done two weeks earlier during aeration.  Brushing the sand into the turf strips the cuticle (waxy coating) off the leaves causing the tips to appear straw colored.
That Friday I made a chemical application to protect the turf heading onto the heat of the summer, and to control an insect that could potentially devastate the greens if left unchecked.  Included in that spray was a Turf Growth Regulator called Legacy, which I used to improve green speed.  It is a combination of two products that affect the plants' ability to produce a hormone that causes the leaves to grow tall.  One of the active ingredients controls Poa annua, the dominant grass species on some of our greens, more than creeping bentgrass.  I used a low-label rate to test the product and see what affect it would have on the turf.  It worked.  In fact the high temperatures, persistent winds, and strong sun caused it to work a little too well.  After coultless hours of pulling hoses and watching the greens VERY closely for the next ten days, the weather pattern broke and the Poa annua bounced back on all but the 3rd and 5th greens. 
The off color appearance of the greens over the last 10-14 days is due to the fact that the regulator prevented the tip damage from growing tall enough to be removed by our mowers.  I have been down on my hands and knees every day monitoring the progress of the greens, waiting for the nice green leaves that are emerging from the base of the plants to push the damaged leaves high enough to be mowed off.  Most of the greens have bounced back and are performing exactly as I would like.  Unfortunately the greens that are located in the poorest growing environments are our weakest link, and are still in the process of growing out the damage.  Looking forward these greens will determine how aggressive we can be as we push for the firm, fast conditions that everyone loves.
In the end, this is just part of the process that superintendents go through as we explore the limitations of a new property.  I wanted to know how far I could push the greens, and how long it would take for them to bounce back.  Had I taken a more conservative approach the comments in the 19th hole would have been that I over water, that the greens are too slow, and I would have learned nothing.  I have been watching and recording the results of my cultural practices and applications, and will adjust my programs accordingly.  This, and many other issues, will be reviewed by an Agronomist from the USGA this coming Wednesday during our Turf Advisory Service visit, and his report and recommendations will be available for all to read.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as I continue to develop programs that will provide turf that is healthy enough to withstand the abuse necessary to maintain firm, fast playing conditions.